- To offer participants a consistent and supportive role model via their relationship with a volunteer mentor
- To provide participants with the opportunities, and the support that they realistically need, to positively alter their lifestyles
- To assist participants to develop and achieve personal goals
- To engage participants in education, training and /or employment in partnership with local training providers
- To enhance participant employability
- To introduce participants to local community resources and encourage constructive use of leisure time
- To enhance participants’ sense of personal responsibility, self-worth and self-confidence
The Project operates a rolling programme accepting referrals throughout the year, however, the core matching and assessment process takes place in the Spring and Autumn. Mentoring Plus operates a non-exclusion policy although referrals must meet the following criteria:
- 12-17 years old
- Living in B&NES
- Young people commit to the programme on a voluntary basis
It is essential that consent is given by the parent / carer of a young person before referral is made. Once we receive an appropriate completed referral form we will meet with the young person to explain more about the project and to invite them on to the Key activities. Initial meetings can take place in school, at home or other agreed venues. Often contact will be made with the referrer prior to meeting with the young person to gather as much background information as possible.
Participant travel expenses are reimbursed throughout the programme.
We wouild like to work closely with referrers and are always available for updates, E-mails are sent out once mentor matching has been completed. Referrers are invited to call us should any additional feedback be required.